An ideal program for students who have successfully completed the Canine Massage Foundations program, or an equivalent program, and wishes to further develop their knowledge, skill, and experience in this specialized and quickly growing field. Our level 2 program is a completely hands-on course that reviews and expands on topics covered in the foundations program and prepares students to take the national certification exam in canine massage offered by NBCAAM. Graduates of the Canine Massage Level 2 program are qualified to work professionally as canine massage therapists in a variety of work environments, including rehabilitation centers, veterinary clinics, animal shelters, training facilities, or private practice.
Why is a completely hands-on approach to learning so important? Becoming a skilled practitioner takes time and a vast amount of hands-on practice. Many of the fundamental elements of canine massage – such as proper massage technique and understanding canine behavior, to name just two – can only be taught and learned in real-life situations. Palpation and massage techniques are learned best when each student’s technique can be assessed for correctness on an on-going basis. Consistent feedback and guidance from instructors allow students to grow in skill and confidence. In terms of behavior, the only way to learn how to work effectively with dogs that are fearful, anxious, poorly socialized, touch reactive, cognitively dysfunctional, or in pain is to experience them first-hand in a safe and controlled learning environment.
Level 2 curriculum includes the following topics:
- Advanced canine anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology
- Working with special populations
- Palliative care
- Advanced massage techniques, including trigger point therapy, myofascial release, post-surgical edema management, and orthopedic massage techniques
- Therapeutic exercise and conditioning
- Working with touch reactive and challenging behavior
- Common canine neurological, pathological, and musculoskeletal conditions
- Canine First-Aid and CPR
- Documentation and record keeping practices
- Advanced business practices
- Working with and educating pet parents
- NBCAAM national certification preparation
Additionally, our hands-on curriculum provides students with 3-dimensional learning experiences. Students have the opportunity to:
- Access a wide array of study materials and anatomy tools to reinforce in-class learning.
- Learn anatomical structures by applying concepts to live dogs and skeletal models.
- Meet and interact with guest lecturers who are among the top people in the field.
- Work with real clients in real-life situations – the ultimate learning experience.
Prerequisite – Level 1 Foundations program or equivalent coursework from another school. Must be cleared with instructor.
Anti-Cruelty Society | 510 N. Lasalle St, Chicago, IL
Times: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Deposit: $600 – Non-refundable. Needed in order to secure spot in class.
**Additional book fees not included. Entire tuition must be paid in full 2 weeks prior to the start of class. A deposit is required to reserve spot in class and is applied to the full class tuition cost. *Times may vary as additional observation hours, anatomy lab, and other educational opportunities may be arranged. Students are required to complete all program coursework within six months of class start date to receive certification. An established due date will be provided on your class syllabus. All materials submitted after due date will be classified as incomplete. A student who receive an incomplete will be required to retake a CSCM program for certification status.
Recommended book for this program includes:
Guide to the Dissection of the Dog. Howard E. Evans and Alexander de Lahunta, 2010.
THE CHICAGO SCHOOL OF CANINE MASSAGE LEVEL 1 PROGRAM IS APPROVED BY THE NATIONAL CERTIFICATION BOARD FOR THERAPEUTIC MASSAGE & BODYWORK (NCBTMB) AS A CONTINUING EDUCATION PROVIDER. THE CHICAGO SCHOOL OF CANINE MASSAGE LEVEL 1 PROGRAM IS ALSO APPROVED BY THE REGISTRY OF ALTERNATIVE AND INTEGRATIVE VETERINARY MEDICAL EDUCATION (RAIVE), PROVIDER NUMBER 2015-03. CSCM IS A CONTINUING EDUCATION PROVIDER FOR THE NATIONAL BOARD OF CERTIFICATION OF ANIMAL ACUPRESSURE AND MASSAGE (NBCAAM).