Following are instructions for completing 20 hours of hands-on work. You will work with four different dogs of your choice:
- Complete five sessions with each of the four dogs you choose.
- Practice charting progress, noting changes, challenges, and successes.
This assignment is intended to give you a forum to practice your hands-on and record-keeping skills and reflect on the process of developing a therapeutic relationship with a canine client. Remember that your focus is on the dog. Focus on the needs of each canine client, thinking as a canine massage therapist. Cultivate your relationships with the canines and pet parents you serve. Facilitate some healing and have fun!
1. Ideally, your appointments should be scheduled weekly so that you can develop a strong client-therapist relationship.
2. Collect client intake forms for each client for your records.
3. Complete SOAP notes for each massage session.
4. Once you have completed all your massage sessions, review your intake form and SOAP notes.
5. Write a short reflection on your work with each canine client. Each reflection should be two to three paragraphs long. Reflect on the following:
- Client’s response to massage treatments (physical, psychological, etc.)
- Any changes observed over the five treatments
- Relationship with pet parents, feedback from them
- Relationships developed with canine clients
- Anything that surprised you or challenged you
- Techniques used, effectiveness of techniques, unintended outcomes
6. Once each reflection is completed, submit the written reflection and all SOAP notes via the form below - You will have to submit this form 4 times. One time for each client.
If you have any questions, or if you have problems identifying clients for this assignment, please don’t hesitate to ask for assistance!