Canine Massage – Level 2 – 100 Hours
The Canine Massage Level 2 certification program is ideal for students who live outside of the Chicagoland area, and for anyone who has successfully completed the Canine Massage Foundations program, or an equivalent program, and wishes to further develop their knowledge, skill, and experience in this specialized and quickly growing field. Our level 2 program is a completely hands-on course that reviews and expands on topics covered in the foundations program and prepares students to take the national certification exam in canine massage offered by NBCAAM. Graduates of the Canine Massage Level 2 program are qualified to work professionally as canine massage therapists in a variety of work environments, including rehabilitation centers, veterinary clinics, animal shelters, training facilities, or private practice.
Why is a completely hands-on approach to learning so important? Becoming a skilled practitioner takes time and a vast amount of hands-on practice. Many of the fundamental elements of canine massage – such as proper massage technique and understanding canine behavior, to name just two – can only be taught and learned in real-life situations. Palpation and massage techniques are learned best when each student’s technique can be assessed for correctness on an on-going basis. Consistent feedback and guidance from instructors allow students to grow in skill and confidence. In terms of behavior, the only way to learn how to work effectively with dogs that are fearful, anxious, poorly socialized, touch reactive, cognitively dysfunctional, or in pain is to experience them first-hand in a safe and controlled learning environment.
Our level 2 curriculum includes the following topics:
- Advanced canine anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology
- Working with special populations
- Palliative care
- Advanced massage techniques, including trigger point therapy, myofascial release, post-surgical edema management, and orthopedic massage techniques
- Working with touch reactive and challenging behavior
- Common canine neurological, pathological, and musculoskeletal conditions
- Canine first-aid and CPR certification
- Documentation and record keeping practices
- Advanced business practices
- Working with and educating pet parents
- NBCAAM national certification preparation
Additionally, our hands-on curriculum provides students with 3-dimensional learning experiences. Students have the opportunity to:
- Access a wide array of study materials and anatomy tools to reinforce in-class learning;
- Learn anatomical structures by applying concepts to live dogs and skeletal models;
- Learn musculoskeletal anatomy by working with clay to build anatomical structures;
- Meet and interact with guest lecturers who are among the top people in the field;
- Work with real clients in real-life situations – the ultimate learning experience.
This program consists of 60 hours of in-class lecture and hands-on learning experiences, and 40 hours of out-of-class learning. Students are required to document observation and lab hours, arrange independent clients for case studies, and complete internship hours providing canine massage therapy services.
We keep our classes very small (4-to-1 student-to-teacher ratio) to ensure that every student’s learning needs can be met throughout the duration of the program. Additionally, students receive continued support following the 7 days of in-class time to facilitate completion of program requirements. Graduates and past students are also welcome to access study tools and attend the anatomy lab at no additional charge.
Prerequisite – Level 1 Foundations program or equivalent coursework from another school. Must be cleared with instructor.
NEXT PROGRAM: September 21-27, 2015
Location: For Your K9, 3312 Bloomingdale, Melrose Park, IL
Times: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Cost: $1,600 – Includes class manual / Additional book fees not included
Deposit: $400 – Non-refundable. Due by July 1, 2015
Entire tuition due in full by September 14, 2015.
If you would like to have Chicago School of Canine Massage come to you, Contact Denise about setting up a group certification in your town.