The Advanced Canine Massage Mentorship Certification program is an intensive and completely hands-on curriculum that prepares students to work confidently, skillfully, and professionally as canine massage therapists in a variety of work environments, including rehabilitation centers, veterinary clinics, animal shelters, training facilities, or private practice. You will cover all the material in the 10 month program in an intensive month long mentorship that is ideal for students living outside of the Chicagoland area. We will meet 6 full days a week for a month and set up observation and real life intern hours. It will enable you to work with real clients and have access to invaluable one-on-one instructor time. This mentorship is only meant for the serious student who can learn in an intensive fashion.
Our extensive curriculum includes the following topics:
- Canine massage overview
- History of massage
- Canine ethology
- Canine physical and social development
- Canine behavior and low stress handling
- Understanding and working with stress, anxiety, and fear in dogs
- Palpation and assessment
- Fundamental massage techniques
- Canine anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology
- Gait observation
- Working with shelter dogs
- Pre-event, post-event, and maintenance massage for canine athletes
- Passive Range of Motion (PROM) and stretching techniques
- Working with special populations
- Palliative care
- Advanced massage techniques, including trigger point therapy, myofascial release, post-surgical edema management, and orthopedic massage techniques
- Common canine neurological, pathological, and musculoskeletal conditions
- Complementary modalities
- Canine first-aid and CPR certification
- Documentation and record keeping practices
- Business practices
- Working with and educating pet parents
- NBCAAM national certification preparation
Additionally, our hands-on curriculum provides students with 3-dimensional learning experiences. Students have the opportunity to:
- Access a wide array of study materials and anatomy tools to reinforce in-class learning;
- Learn anatomical structures by applying concepts to live dogs and skeletal models;
- Learn musculoskeletal anatomy by working with clay to build anatomical structures;
- Meet and interact with guest lecturers who are among the top people in the field;
- Work with real clients in real-life situations – the ultimate learning experience.
This program consists of lecture and hands-on learning experiences in and outside of class. Students are required to document observation and lab hours, arrange independent clients for case studies, and complete internship hours providing canine massage therapy services.
Students receive continued support following completion of the program to facilitate continued growth, experience, and a thriving practice. Graduates and past students are also welcome to access study tools and attend the anatomy lab at no additional charge.
Next mentorship program will be offered July 10 - 31, 2015.
Location: For Your K9, 3312 Bloomingdale, Melrose Park, IL
Times: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM*
Cost: $6,500 – Includes class manual / Additional book fees not included
Deposit: $1,600 – Non-refundable. Due by June 1, 2014.
Entire tuition must be paid in full before the first day of class.
*Times may vary as additional observation hours, anatomy lab, and other educational opportunities may be arranged.
If you would like to have Chicago School of Canine Massage come to you, Contact Denise about setting up a group certification in your town.